...the way to keep your favorite documents organized.
- allow users to upload a file / multiple files
- restrict access to upload based on Joomla user groups
- restrict access to downloads based on Joomla user groups
- webmasters can restrict the maximum Folder size (in MB) or maximum File size
- users can share to specific Users, User Groups or Public (Guests)
- users may share whole folders or just specific files
- users may share only for a limited amount of time some files (share expires after day X)
- users may receive notifications when new files are shared with them
- Files may have a lifetime, that means files can be automatically deleted after a specific date
- webmasters can restrict to whom users may share
- webmasters can force uploaded files to be shared with a specific group
- webmasters can override for an administrative group specific settings (for instance to allow a higher Folder size)
- webmasters may import files from the hosting folder and assign them to users
- and more...
Briefcase Factory is the only Joomla equivalent for Yahoo's Briefcase - A well known approach to document and file sharing.
Users can upload their files and share them with other users or with specific assigned user groups. With Briefcase Factory, the site webmaster can easily manage a complete Document Sharing system with limited availability period, email notifications and other important settings.
There is the possibility to use categories and a folder structure (virtual folder - the files are stored differently in the hosting) - this way users can keep their files organized and share specific folders to users or groups of their choice.
The user interface is intuitive, AJAX driven, therefore page reloads are minimized to improve productivity. You can ADD more than one file at a time; number can be set in admin backend. The uploaded Files can be SHARED with one/more users, one/more groups, all users, or with the public (registered and unregistered users). In case a file is shared with the public, the user can set a date and time for how long the share will remain active.
If you uploaded some files in the wrong folder you can always MOVE them as you please. Files can be assigned to several Categories (configurable in the admin backend) and the category can also be changed after the upload. Create Folders where you like, even folder in folder.
Files Shared for Me by other users are accessible under a separate area and there is also a separate area for Public Shared Files, where any visitor can view or download files.
Logged on as administrator you can access ALL the Files uploaded by all users on your system in the administrative backend. You can search after certain terms or filter one particular user. Any file can be deleted, renamed or you can change it's Category.
Following Modules & Plugins are included in the Briefcase Factory kit:
- Community Builder Plugin Pack (located under [archive]/packages/cb_plugins folder) - These are two powerful Community Builder Plugins that work hand in hand with Briefcase Factory. My Files - Shows the list of the user's own files, or if you look at another persons profile you will see his (or hers) public shared files. This makes managing of Briefcase Files in community builder much easier. You can also upload files or download your files from this plugin. Private Files - Shows the list of private shared files (that users share for your eyes only), or if you look at other profiles you see the files you shared to them. Of course you can un-share the files or download them as needed.
- Top Module - you can choose in Admin Backend between the three display options: Top Downloaded Files, Latest Added Public Files and Latest Private Shared Files. All the settings are in Administration (under Module property) configurable. To have all module types on your site, simply just copy the module (option in Administration).
- Statistics Module - displays Total Files and Public Files.
- Joomla 3.x
- MySQL (min. 5.1 + )
- cURL, GD2 libraries enabled.
briefcase Factory 4.0.0 released on May 23, 2013.
- Support for Joomla 3.0.x.
briefcase Factory 3.5.1 released on February 19, 2013.
- New feature: AJAX filtering by username on sharing.
- New feature: Private and Public shares filter by username.
- Fixed issues regarding user restricted to receive files still showed up in sharing list, updating briefcase view with SEF and "Adds Suffix to URL" enabled, user sharing pagination with SEF and "Adds Suffix to URL" enabled, search filter on private shared files.
briefcase Factory 3.5.0 released on February 4, 2013.
- New updates feature: starting with versions above 3.5.0 all updates will be made using the Joomla component update system (simply install over the previous version the new releases).
- New feature: unavailable buttons on the frontend Briefcase section are now disabled and unclickable.
- Fixed issues regarding frontend access management restrictions were not applied correctly, removed backend upload restriction options as it was already set from the permissions section.
briefcase Factory 3.2.1 released on September 12, 2012.
- Fixed issues regarding about component page, permissions after installation, renaming folders, bulk upload, edit title and description, shared files properties, delete folders, filenames with empty spaces, current folder path, share to users and share to groups from backend, edit category, added component submenu on the categories page, latest public files module.
briefcase Factory 3.2.0 released on August 3, 2012.
- Improved component layout on backend and frontend.
- Removed Vodes Integration.
briefcase Factory 3.1.2 released on June 1, 2012.
- Fixed issues regarding sharing when user belongs to multiple groups, "Maximum file(s) size" admin overrides, etc.
briefcase Factory 3.1.1 released on February 7, 2012.
- New feature: Joomla specific menu items for views
- New feature: backend add files (sort and show directories and then files; for each file you can set: category, folder and description; after adding files the file browser retains the current path).
- Install method = "upgrade"
- Fixed issues regarding folder sharing on groups, backend about page, with Artio, with Gantry framework, CB plugin, file shared directly to user and to user's group.
briefcase Factory 3.1.0 released on January 31, 2012.
- Support for Joomla 2.5.x.
briefcase Factory 3.0.1 released on January 19, 2012.
- Fixed issues regarding error showing folder name in backend in files list, sharing file to group (when user from that group was in more then just one group).
briefcase Factory 3.0.0 released on November 30, 2011.
- New Product Concept.
- Fixed issues regarding jQuery (when template or other extension has its own version of jQuery), change category action (selected My Files tab), restrictions, added groups shared in backend files list.
briefcase Factory 2.1.0 released on August 22, 2011.
- Support for Joomla 1.7.x.
- Fixed issue regarding backend settings (save share and restricted group).
briefcase Factory 2.0.1 released on June 6, 2011.
- New feature: upload files in the current folder.
- Fixed issues regarding calendar popup, pagination issues on Public Shared Files and Shared Files for Me pages.
briefcase Factory 2.0.0 released on April 11, 2011.
- Redeveloped for Joomla 1.6.x.
briefcase Factory 1.6.1 released on April 14, 2010.
- New feature: added the possibility for auto-share files to the admins.
- Fixed issue on install (set default charset to UTF-8 for tables and FTP layer active), triggering "Share files only with these admins", when "Set Max File-size" was empty, etc.
briefcase Factory 1.6.0 released on November 17, 2009.
- Added to the kit the standalone modules and plugins: Community Builder Plugin Pack (My files and Private files), Top Module, Statistics Module and Vodes Credits Module.
briefcase Factory 1.5.5 released on October 19, 2009.
- New feature: administrator overrides.
- New option: "Allow public downloads for guests" (enable/disable).
- Tabbed settings in administrator area.
- New module: user frontend module to display the files which were shared directly to the user by the admin user group.
- Fixed several issues including: multiple pages users select share, particular template display problem, public shared files tab shows up only when public shares are enabled or an admin has shared public files overriding the default setting, etc.
briefcase Factory 1.5.3released on April 17, 2009.
- Sort categories alphabetically.
- Fixed issues regarding overlib, SQL, Share files only with these admins, Public share, loader bar under IE, redirect to login form, CB integration, new Vodes table names.
briefcase Factory 1.5.2 released on March 19, 2009.
- Fixed some issues regarding chmod 0777, xajax error handle and Vodes points.
briefcase Factory 1.5.1 released on March 13, 2009.
- New feature: added new Search Plugin Option (Search my files, my shared files, public files).
briefcase Factory 1.5.0 released on March 3, 2009.
- Redeveloped to be a native Joomla 1.5.x component.
- New feature: File FTP Upload for Administrator.
- New feature: Set allowed file types.
- New feature: Search Mambot for Joomla Search.
- Several improvements including find user when sharing, AJAX on upload files, etc.
briefcase Factory 1.3.2 released on December 2, 2008.
- New feature: JoomFish Integration.
- Fixed issue while moving files/logoff, "My Files" in legacy mode (table #__core_acl_aro_groups field group_id became id in J1.5), overlib on file listing, etc.
briefcase Factory 1.3.1 released on August 22, 2008.
- Fixed issue regarding browse folder for admin, editing multiple categories, JACL.
- Set upload folder notifications and rights.
- Several code optimizations.
briefcase Factory 1.3.0released on August 1, 2008.
- Support for Joomla 1.5.x Legacy Mode
- New feature: admin option to enable/disable the public tab and the public uploads
- New feature: admin option to enable/disable that registered users can only share files with administrators
- New feature: admin option to enable/disable that when registered users upload a file that file must be shared automatically with admin users (if it is enable they would not need to select to anybody; the list of users would not appear and the file would be shared with several administrators; there is also a setting to select the admin users that are chosen to receive direct shares)
- several code optimizations and improvements
briefcase Factory 1.1.1 released on November 11, 2007.
- Fixed bug in admin regarding changing categories
- Fixed bug in frontend for no upload users ("My Files" was showing up if directly linked)
briefcase Factory 1.1.0 released on October 30, 2007.
- Added ActionList replacing the old Main Menu Buttons
- Added JACL support (Group Sharing & Group exclusions)
- Added File Description
- Added Share Time limit
- Added File Time limit (file auto-deletes after a certain date)
- Added VODES support (credit system) - Prices for downloads (allows site to get a commission)
- Hacked XAJAX to allow other XAJAX based Components and modules to work with Briefcase
- Fixed bug regarding filter categories
- Fixed IE bug regarding Select boxes poking out through the Sharing DIV
- Fixed IE Bug regarding special characters (invalid XML response)
briefcase Factory 1.0.4 released on August 3, 2007.
- Added Language Pack: English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish
- Fixed bug regarding making a file public and sharing it to all users at the same time
- Fixed bug regarding un-sharing a public file or folder which remained public
- Fixed bug regarding files downloaded from briefcase in IE7 that came out zero bytes in size
- Fixed bug regarding unsorted files in the admin
briefcase Factory 1.0.3 released on July 23, 2007.
- Added Icons to Files and Folders
- Added Email Notifications for New Shares
- Added "New Share" Icon to new Private Shares
- Fixed bug regarding sharing and un-sharing Folders
briefcase Factory 1.0.2 released on July 13, 2007.
briefcase Factory 1.0.1 released on June 23, 2007.
- Fixed bug (not able to download own files)
briefcase Factory 1.0.0 released on June 1, 2007.
Customer Reviews:Malina (Monday, 10 June 2013)
Very good solution for private files and closed circuit. Works like described! thanks