RSS Factory 1.0 was the follow-up of the later RSSReader2 - a well known Joomla Component provided by Softmarket.ro. We, Skepsis Consult acquired in fall 2006 Softmarket in order to add professional Joomla knowledge to our Company. All our products can now be found in our shop under www.thefactory.ro.
In his previous life as RSSReader2, our component had over 7000 downloads and is indexed in Google in over 750 sites! With the versions compatible with Joomla 1.0.x the numbers tripled. Then Joomla 1.5, Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 followed increasing the numbers significantly up to 70.000 downloads.
rss Factory can display relevant RSS feeds set by you from the backend which is a clean way to direct genuine traffic towards your site. You can enable the feature to display add banners, Google Adsense or simple links to show them between the feeds, this allowing you so to advertise on your website without any extra work.
To offer users a better experience while navigating through feeds you can enable various features like a search form, a comments system or even to allow them to submit feeds by themselves, administrators will have to approve them later on.
You can use RSS Factory to add as many feeds as you like. The extension was successfully tested with large sets of feeds. You can refresh the news by running a cron job (see details in our documentation) or enable the Pseudo CRON feature in admin backend. Being very customizable, RSS Factory also gives you an easy way to categorize your feeds, and group them by specific topics.
Here is a list of the main features provided by RSS Factory:
- Cron Jobs and Pseud Cron
- Settable date format
- Ads integration
- Search form
- Comment system
- Favicons for feeds
- Category management and module
- Users can submit feeds
- Feeds voting
- Customized output styles easily manageable through configuration
- Automatic unpublish erroneous feeds
- Word filter
- Permissions management
- and more...
Starting with version 4.0.0, RSS Factory has again the same code base as RSS Factory PRO. We did this in order to offer more professional features for free to our community and to the Joomla Community.Requirements:
- Joomla 3.x
- MySQL (min. 5.1 + )
- cURL, GD2, iconv, mbstring libraries enabled.
rss Factory 4.0.3 released on January 28, 2014.
- Fixed issues regarding categories module, backend about model.
rss Factory 4.0.1 released on April 19, 2013.
- Fixed several small issues.
rss Factory 4.0.0 released on March 11, 2013.
- Support for Joomla 3.0.x.
- Complete new code-base, based on RSS Factory PRO.
rss Factory 3.1.0 released on February 1, 2012.
- Support for Joomla 2.5.x.
- Fixed issues regarding escape input data in replace content plugin, page title on the Favorites list, import categories, create Joomla menu item for component.
rss Factory 3.0.0 released on December 13, 2011.
rss Factory 2.1.0 released on August 19, 2011.
- Support for Joomla 1.7.x.
rss Factory 2.0.0 released on January 14, 2011.
- Redeveloped for Joomla 1.6.x.
rss Factory 1.6.1 released on November 17, 2009.
- Compliant with J!1.5.15
- Compliant with PHP 5.3.0
- Fixed some minor issues.
rss Factory 1.6.0 released on July 31, 2009.
- New feature: Simple Submitting Feeds (for extended submitting features use the PRO version).
- Parser changed to SimplePie (more reliable).
- Improved UTF-8 support (almost comparable with the PRO version UTF-8 support).
- Fixed several issues.
rss Factory 1.5.9 released on February 4, 2009.
- Fixed issues regarding overlib, shortenText, detecting safe_mode, back to category link, no ads, etc.
rss Factory 1.5.8 released on September 18, 2008.
- Fixed issues regarding refresh link, cron refresh function and icon, breaks tabbed view, curl, etc.
rss Factory 1.5.7 released on September 12, 2008.
- Noticable code improvements.
- Removed stripos functions in order to provide maximum compatibility with PHP4 and PHP5.
- Maximized UTF-8 support.
- Fixed issues regarding duplicate feed images, truncated feeds, overlib when table view, date sort order, feed icons, template in IE7, rss module (sort date, categories filter, parameters), etc.
rss Factory 1.5.5 released on July 17, 2008.
- Added category description
- Improved category management
- Cleaner install/uninstall
- several other improvements
- Attention! Due to the categories changes, backups from previous versions older then 1.5.5 are not compatible anymore.
rss Factory 1.5.4 released on June 19, 2008.
- New Table Categories
- Improved SQL-backup and restore functions including notices
- Optimized functions “ParseRSS_toCache” and removed <embedded> from the feed title
rss Factory 1.5.3 released on April 10, 2008.
- fixed "save config" issue
rss Factory 1.5.2 released on March 25, 2008.
- Redeveloped to be a native Joomla 1.5.X component (only rss Factory versions 1.0.x till 1.1.x will support further Joomla 1.0.X)
- several major improvements
rss Factory 1.1.0 released on March 24, 2008.
- several minor and major improvements
- fixed issue regarding the pseudocron
rss Factory 1.0.4 released on Sept 27, 2007.
- Tabbed view configurable (background images, width, height of the tabs)
- Itemid issue solved
- Module defaults set to better values
- Admin - feed pagination fixed
- Module did not fire pseudocron - fixed
- New charset handling functions - improved display for UTF-8 feeds in ISO pages
- New display of target feeds in wrappers in your site
- improved coding style - no more notices if error level E_ALL turned on
rss Factory 1.0.3 released on May 28, 2007.
- added better support for UTF-8 feeds; you can now force the charset encoding of the pages (new admin option "force character encoding")
- added rel="nofollow" + target="_blank" to the external links of all feeds
- added support for some malformed XML feeds (no encoding attribute)
- workaround for strange formatted dates
- incompatibility fix with com_page_cache
- fixed curl_setopt issue with safe_mode on sites
- fixed issue with Feeds without date
- fixed Mambot bug regarding results (bad id in result)
- fixed link visit now with http header 301 moved permanently.
rss Factory 1.0.2 released on May 2, 2007.
- new feature - show/hide date in display
- new feature - show/hide bullet in display
- new feature - show/hide icon in display
- module fix for displaying bullets (image path was corrupt)
- incompatibility fix with com_page_cache
- fixed minor admin interface problems in confguration: show feed icon
- fixed issue: cannot find any feeds (on some installations) in categories with spaces
- fixed an issue with Ads (display for less then 2) and was added to CSS.
rss Factory 1.0.1 released on Apr 25, 2007.
- minor fix in refresh link output for some configurations;
- fix for sites running in safe_mode (set_time_limit error);
- added minor change about description being displayed for "show_categories" set to false.
rss Factory 1.0.0 released on Apr 22, 2007.
Screenshots are representing version 4.0.1 of rss Factory.
Customer Reviews:raktor (Monday, 25 March 2013)
WOW!!!!!!!! using the code from the PRO version makes now this product the most powerful free RSS reader out-there. I tested it for a couple of days,
now I'll upgrade to the PRO version. AMAZING PRODUCT!!!!!!!!